There’s got to be a morning after

Allow me to apologize in advance for what may seem to be a rather frank and detailed description of how I’m feeling. However, I feel it’s the only way to be true to the dual purpose of this blog. I get to let it out, and in telling other people about my experience I hope to prepare others should this ever happen to them.

On to the show. Things got a little worse once I finally settled down for the night. I was restless after watching television, but after a while I finally managed to drift off to sleep. However, at around 12:45 I got the most terrible feeling of nauseua. Imagine being ill and yet so tired that you simply don’t want to get up to do anything about it. I twisted and turned for a while and eventually sat up on my futon. At around 1:30 I got up to get a ginger ale. It was at this point that I discovered the real benefit of having my mother spend the night. She heard me stirring and eventually came down and got it for me. I had actually already gotten my drink out, but I had almost no guilt in letting her take care of the rest. So I sat back on the futon, drank the ginger ale and tried to get back into the mood for sleeping. I surfed the net for a while and eventually my stomach calmed down. I also benefited from the fact that my stomach flared up at just about the same time I could take my medication again. After the pill I was able to get some more rest until around 6. Again, I was having some gastric distress. Unfortunately, there was little I could do about it. I managed to stir my mom again, and she got up and tried to hunt down some OTC medication for my concern. Unfortunately when she came back she realized that I couldn’t take it with nausea as well. She cleaned my apartment, and eventually I calmed down to the point where I drifted back to sleep. Not wanting to awaken me she went upstairs to sleep and summarily succumbed to her own fatigue.

I woke up at around 1:30, far more chipper than before. We had lunch, and I spent the afternoon alternately reading and watching a VH-1 documentary about the history of hip-hop. Given this and my interest in the MC Hammer biopic of Thursday night I’m wondering if this condition has suddenly begun to affect my musical tastes (although I did spend a few minutes with Vince Gill on CMT today). I struggled with nausea on and off most of the afternoon, but by the time my dad arrived to pick up my mom things had subsided. He also brought the ingredients for dinner, a lovely sausage and brocoli skillet. It was quite good, but unfortunately nothing is settling very well with me these days. As we speak I’m experiencing a little backlash from dinner. Nothing serious, but these things just seem to come in bouts. I’ll be fine for a while and it’ll just flare up. Not much I can do, I suppose, but it is rather inconvenient.

It was last night that I realized that perhaps I had underestimated chemo to some degree. Right when you come out you feel fine. Certainly there’s some fatigue from sitting for all that time, but it’s not like someone has to drive up to pick you up. In fact, there’s some triumph in making it all the way to the parking garage. However, I suppose given the way the drugs work, you shouldn’t expect everything to come on at once. That’s alot of outside material floating around your body, and certianly these things can’t be working alone.

Anyways, I said I’d keep it short. I’ll let you know how tomorrow goes, but frankly I just expect more of the same. Que sera sera.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: